At the beginning of the Qing Dynasty during the reign of Yong Zheng Ning prefect Lu Jin in the years after retirement was related to the structure of garden ", also known as" small Yulin "(now East Garden). Park is not very wide, there are fish, Wu Aiting sills, rattan flower boat, floating red Yang Bi, Wan Hong Gang Zhu sheng. Once by calligrapher Guo Fengliang in rent. Following the Chongming villa. Xianfeng between Bingxian destroyed.
Tongzhi thirteen years (1874), Huzhou provincial judge Shen Bingcheng's house sue, purchased the ruined garden involving, hired painter Gu Yun in the old garden design based on the expansion of rehabilitation for the existing pattern of a house two yuan, two years Guangxu (1876) completed. After the completion of the garden, Shen Bingcheng will be renamed "coupled", Yu couple Kai Yin Xiao, both implicit meaning. Ten years Guangxu, Shen Bingcheng Feng comeback officials he, along with the family to. Twenty-one years Guangxu, Shen Bingcheng to Suzhou cure, cure is invalid, died in the park. After the crumbling, spread to residential areas.
In 1928, Zhao Shanchang was living in the educator, who living there two women Chen Shihong, Zhang Yingu, Zhang Weinong, Shen Ziqi, Nanjing Agricultural College of Centre College Dean Wang Qiyu. In 1932, the east garden was rent in Yang Yinyu founded two women's music society. After Yang was killed, the east garden was empty, the garden has become increasingly deserted. In 1939, the Ancient Chinese Literature Search master Qian Muwei once and mother live in the East Garden Ying family, the nephew of Qian Weichang had long live the garden. In 1941, Changzhou industrialist Liu Guojun purchased the abandoned Park, with heavy repair. The garden has been completely broken, has become the central residence. In 1950, a fire will be destroyed on one day in central hall.
1956 to Zhenya silk factory management, after the workshop, warehouse, dormitory, nursery and a series of destiny changes after 1960, approved by the municipal government, under the Suzhou city park management office management, and allocated 60 thousand yuan to April 1965 renovation, the east garden was finally able to repair, open to visitors in May 1st. During the park renovation, landscape construction team in 1963 moved to the west garden office, until the 1981 New Year's day and the classical garden construction company merger was moved out to the west garden, garden technical school, in May the same year, belonging to technical management as garden park, school experimental base. In July 1982, park alone cut. School was built in Huqiu in 1985 by a bridge on the new premises after the move. More than a year after the opening of the East Garden (1967), the "Cultural Revolution", and other park classical gardens of Suzhou were closed in 1968, was renamed the "East Park Garden", and continue to shut down for more than ten years. In 1980, the city government allocated 100 thousand yuan, after re overhaul of the open (East Garden).
1989 local renovation of the West garden. In 1990 the establishment of "Shen Park heritage gallery".
In April 1990, the zoo merged with Dongyuan Park Suzhou Dongyuan Park Management Office, Dongyuan membership management. In 1993, the city government allocated 6 million 800 thousand yuan in total renovation of the central residential and Western gardens, to move out of all households, in 1994 completed and open to the East garden.
Suzhou city in 1963 was listed as cultural relics protection units. April 1995 was listed as the provincial cultural relics protection units. November 2000 Park as an extension of Suzhou classical gardens was included in the "World Heritage list of UNESCO World Heritage Committee". June 2001 was listed as the national key cultural relics protection units.